Thursday, September 9, 2010

Journalism Week 1 is over.



My first week as a Journalism student is over! Okay maybe not really since I had no Monday class this week but it feels like it so I decided to blog. So far my classes and instructors seem pretty cool.

Canadian History is definitely promising to be the least interesting but to be fair there is only so much you can do with a history that was based on signing a bunch of treaties . At least Mike Walsh, my instructor who constantly refers to himself as a dinosaur but drops more Jersey Shore references than anyone I know, has a fun sense of humour and has structured the classes  in a very engaging way. Today we discussed the burning of the qur'an, Canada's freedom of speech and enlisting in wars.

My other class today, Writing for Newspapers, was just an in class assignment that was actually more fun than I expected it to be, even though I still found it a bit challenging. Kathy, our instructor, seems to really know a lot but for some reason I can't exactly pin down yet, I'm frightened of her. I think it has to do with the fact that I don't feel my English is at the same level of everyone else's and it just makes me super paranoid.

Regarding my other classes I really don't have much to say. Design for Print seems fun and unlike anything I have ever done before. Also this is my teacher. Yup. Part time wise newspaper man, part time cool punk rocker in a band called Jam Toast. Go, him!

Intro to Desktop Publishing reminded me a lot of high school computing class except you know, programs people in the biz actually use. We didn't get too into it (most of the class consisted of us taking mugshot pictures so our instructor can remember our names...what did people do before computers?) but the little she did talk about promises great things for my life. Soon your eyes won't be offended by the awful blog design I stole from someone else. Before you know it, employers won't glance over my boring resume thinking I'm just one more of a bunch (unless the rest are also indesign-knowledgable people in which case I'm screwed).

And finally there is Research Techniques. From what I heard through the grapevine it was one of the least liked class by my fellow journalism students but I loved it. Andrew clearly knows a lot about his field and his documentary really reassured me I was in the right field. Its the sort of thing I want to be doing some point in the future. Fingers crossed.

Technically I have one more class on monday but its History of Journalism so I'm not exactly expecting great things from a history class.

Regarding my movie project I'll probably get back on schedule sooner or later. Currently I'm battling a deadly case of common cold and I am too weak to piratebay search the next movie. I have (black) musical Dreamgirls which seems like a good movie so I'll watch that and a couple more over my long weekend and I should be good. Plus we all know black musicals are the best kind of musicals because they deal with real things (I still have my fingers crossed for Precious!: Based on the Film Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire, the musical about a fat black girl who is precious inside and out. She will be played by Kelly Clarkson in blackface).

All in all, life is good and is best expressed by a chibi peace sign which I googled and instead found this chibi effeminate Link from The Legend of Zelda. You're a beautiful girl, Link. Date me.  




11 comments:

  1. I'm glad school is going well for you! Maybe you can transfer to Oklahoma now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Whit! I love Canada too much to leave though. Maybe you can move here? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad my documentary helped. Also, if it's any use, you have better English than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so behind...when did you move to Canada? LOL

    Also, coming from our time speaking on the phone. Late that night. Alone. I can tell you that your English is perfectly fine. Don't be too paranoid about that!

    This was a very interesting blog, btw. I am fascinated. Now, also jealous cause you are in Canada. Which part of Canada? Are you near NY?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teacher makes me hot and bothered. #ngl

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Andrew ha! yeah your documentarie about canadian mennonite drug dealers was excellent.

    @nevets I moved to mississauga (close to toronto) at the end of may I think? i've been here for a while :). I want to go to New York next summer maybe.

    @jayme lmao he's married. and has a child. (aka your type)

    ReplyDelete
  7. eek! documentary. I blame it on my SARS-like affliction right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just so upset that I am that far out of the loop, lol. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw sorry Nevets! it wasn't a huge secret. You're just never on MSN. Anyway I'm glad you're reading and commenting cuz we get to stay in touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steven, he decided to move from Peru to Canada as soon as it was decided that I would be in Peru for a month. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's hilarious Whitley! When you went to Peru, I wondered if Rodrigo met you. I had no idea he ran away from you to another country.

    ReplyDelete